The Cyclist Goes Running.



Wednesday night was sunny and hot so I decided I would earn my sweat by going for a run. My short lived running experience to date has been on a treadmill at Nubody`s so I was anxious to put foot to pavement to see how the body responds to the effort.

Been years since I ran outside primarily due to a weak set of lower back muscles that would often stress to spasm from the impact of running on my lower body. Years of weight management and a focus upon lower back/core strength this past winter has paid dividends.

Almost immediately into the run I felt discomfort in my back but it was more a nuissance than a concern. I`m hoping it`s just a conditioning or positioning thing I can work out as my milage increases as I had no post run issues with my lower back.

That said I felt like a bus ran me over this morning. I estimate it was only a slow paced 4km run but I was feeling the love today. My quads are toasted! Feels good in a "I know I did something" sense.I`ve run longer and faster on a treadmill and regularly push myself "inside out" on the bike but have never felt the legs this tight before....hoorah!

So far so good. Next time out on the bike I will ride my run route and determine the distance for tracking purposes.

Geo

Comments

Cari said…
I have found a big difference between running on a treadmill and running on the road. A treadmill is very forgiving, it absorbs a lot of the shock, but on the pavement its just your foot and your shoe taking the jolt.
Find out the distance and start timing it, it’s a great way to push yourself. I keep track of the time on all my runs and keep it on an excel sheet here at work, along with the distance. So far my best time for my 4.8 km loop is 26 minutes 21 seconds, and the best time on my 6.5 km loop is 42 minutes and 12 seconds.

Steve
George said…
You`re doing great Steve. Keep up the good work.

Question.....do you take water with you on a run and, if so, do you hold it in your hand? I guess I`m spoiled by bottle cages on a bike and wonder how runners manage it?
Inquiring minda wanna know.

Geo
Cari said…
I don't take water with me, It doesn’t seem to be a problem now, but I imagine when December hits (our summer) and its pushing 40 everyday I might have to bring some along, especially on the 6.5 km runs. Maybe a small CamelBak,

http://www.camelbak.com.au/secureshop/category.php?cat_id=29

Steve

Popular posts from this blog

2009 Halifax Criterium - Race Update

Celesta - The Archer's Helmet

Scythian Bow - Flagella Dei