Fall Of My Discontent - Out With A Whimper But Hope Runs Eternal



After Chelsea did an endo into the table on Friday night that required five stitches adjacent her left eye I opted out of Saturday`s club ride. Mon headed to work at 8am and I didn`t have the heart to wake my daughter to check on her before I left.

I did manage a workout though......after she awoke and was OK I headed to the gym for a spirited hour of spinning, a mile run on the treadmill and some core/ab work. It doesn`t negate the fact it`s been about 2 weeks since I was on the bike and the Wentworth race is on the 30th. It is the last race on the BNS road series schedule which is being hosted by us(BPCC)and if we didn`t need additional marshalls on the course I was considering racing.

After missing today`s fast training ride I`ve decided that my competitive season is over......it`s been a challenge to find saddle time to just maintain my club level fitness let alone any semblance of racing form.

(sigh)

Out with a whimper! The 2007 season started with such promise only to end with discontentment.It`s all about balance between work, family and sport which I somehow didn`t achieve.

As a good friend once said this too shall pass.The races I did attend were good results for me, I set PB`s in both time trials and rode well at the Investor`s Group Triathlon.My focus is firmly set upon the time trial discipline for 2008 and now that I`ve started running I would love to compete in duathlons. Never say never! I also finally broke under the 200 pound barrier which was awesome.

It has to do with my attitudes as well.......some folk eat to cycle and some cycle to eat. I guess I fall into the latter category(wink).Another question of balance....guess I like the Friday Night wines a little too much.

With my ball hockey commencing on the 30th my Sunday`s will now be spent in nets rather than on the bike.Realistically midweek rides will be few and far between as darkness is upon us earlier in the evenings. cycling is winding down as is my term as VP of the club. I have made my attentions clear that I will not resubmit for an executive position for 2008. Time to drift back to the shadows, focus upon winter training goals and come out with a better mindset and fitness for Spring.

Hope does run eternal.The Golden Kaan South African white is delicious and Chelsea managed a cute smile despite her wound. Life is good.

Geo

Comments

Cari said…
Hey George

Good job getting under the 200 mark, that’s not easy! I also have my eye on Duathlons, after x-mas I might start looking into it more serious. Cari and I test rode a couple Scott Mountain Bikes last weekend, been a long time since I've been on a bike, felt good.
Speaking out wine, Cari has sworn it off for a little while....ask her about it sometime...you Henley’s and your alcohol.....

Steve
George said…
Nice.I`m certainly thinking hard about diathlons. It will all come down to how my running progresses this winter.

It`s one thing to run on treadmills but entirely something else to do it outside.

Good stuff Steve.....I`ve kinda wondered why you never got back into cycling. Scott makes some awesome road bikes so I assume the MTB line is pretty nice too.

Geo
Cari said…
The Scott bikes we looked at I was really impressed with. It seems over the last 5 years the components have become a lot better and the cost has stayed about the same. The bike Cari rode had really nice Avid Dual Disc Hydrolic brakes, Rock Shox's, aluminum frame,etc...and it was $900....
I never got back into cycling mostly because of the cost. We were pretty tight money wise in Montreal, plus the riding seasone is really short. Now in Australia, money is better and the riding season is 12 months long, can't beat that. I have to decide on a road or a mountain bike....I'm torn. I think it will end up being a mountain bike, But then I'd have to save up for a road bike if I ended up doing dualthons. oh the stress of life :)
We need to win the lottery...

Steve

Popular posts from this blog

2009 Halifax Criterium - Race Update

Celesta - The Archer's Helmet

Scythian Bow - Flagella Dei