Plateau This! MSN and Geo`s Gym Routine

Taking some of that updated theory I gleaned from MSN`s Health and Fitness pages to the gym I flipped my usual routine tonight. Usually I start with some stretching, followed by ab/core work and then cardio; either spin class or running followed by some weight training if time permits.

Aparently recent studies have shown(in Geo`s layman`s terms)that by starting a workout with some intense cardio that focuses more on effort that time spent spikes the metabolism and causes the body to burn more fat than more of a gradual endurance approach.

In terms of my running I usually book the mandatory 20 minutes on the treadmill and log a solid/steady run. Tonight I did the opposite...... after some stretching I did some serious interval training. Running at a pace that was comfortable but hard(near my lactate theshold)I sprinted every 5 minutes in 1-2 minutes increments and then incorporated some active recovery before the next sprint.Wow...... talk about feeling the love. After a moderate power walk cooldown of 3 minutes I heading directly to the weights and did some lower body quad, calf, hamstring and leg compound exercises. Then I ended my workout with ab/core work, sweating bullets and jacked on endorphins. Nice!

Obviously it depends on your focus. If you want to efficiently burn (more)fat short intense efforts are required. If you are training for endurance then longer steady paced training is required. Since my cycling would benefit from reduced body weight the result of fat loss I need to adjust my approach to my winter training. Worse case scenario is I prevent plateauing. Best case scenario I manage to burn fat more efficiently and see some of those Spartan abs(wink).

Yeah.....I know Friday night wine might be counter productive but any good exercise program must be sustainable. A couple glasses of red wine on a Friday is a small indulgence considering the strides I have made in my overall diet. Besides it is the carrot in front of this horse to keep me motivated the rest of the week.It`s all about balance.

Geo

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2009 Halifax Criterium - Race Update

Celesta - The Archer's Helmet

Scythian Bow - Flagella Dei