Fasted Training - Rock Jumps

Having awoken to a beautiful early Spring day(sunny and 0C) but unable to get out on the bike due to ball hockey commitments this afternoon I opted to go for a short trail run, some intervals then do some bench/rock jumps. Since I decided early to do this I figured it would be a good idea to test the fasted training concept so I opted not to take any calories beforehand. A couple cups of coffee and I was good to go.

The run portion was really just a warmup before I did some Tabata style interval sprints at the local softball field. Probably no more than three kilometers(of running) in total but the intervals sure hurt. I then did two sets of 8 reps of bench jumps that were surprisingly easy. My jumping was improving!

Thats when I eyed one of the big rocks along the trail. I had noticed it before but the height was beyond my ability but today was another day. Almost flat on top it offered a stable platform.The ground was sloping away from the base of the rock so I estimate a jump height of about 33 inches.
I was quite impressed that my jumping had improved so much and set a personal best today. I love the burn that I get with jumping and figure it is a great way to develop lower body strength that should serve me well on the bike. A couple more sets later I was heading home to get ready for ballhockey but enroute through the woods I saw the boulder. Not just a rock this was a boulder and on the one side it had an indentation that would make a perfect landing spot. That said it was about 36 inches high or waist height. Feeling full of myself and confident that no one would see me fall(wink) I decided to give it an attempt.
Second personal best in the same day. Having managed two jumps I now have my new platform to build my jumping regimen upon.Same deal......once I can manage 3 sets of 8 consecutive jumps then it will be time to move higher.The belly is growling now. Time to eat and gear for for another Sunday afternoon in goal.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2009 Halifax Criterium - Race Update

Celesta - The Archer's Helmet

Scythian Bow - Flagella Dei