Discretion is the better part of valor - A premature but smart end to Thursday night ball hockey.

 I decided tonight would be the last Thursday night of playing ball hockey. The 2011 race season is starting with the first race on May 15th -descretion is the better part of valor. After witnessing a  teammate take a slash across the foot tonight and having the toe nail on his big toe split down the middle (and the toe possibly broken) I realized that could have easily been me. He will lose the toe nail and it is that kind of injury that would definitely sideline my cycling training. I cannot imagine the agony of wearing a cycling shoe and attempting to put pressure on the pedals with a messed up toe.

 Rather than tempt fate I will no longer play the remaining 6 weeks unless they need me to play goal. Otherwise my ballhockey season is over until the Fall.Some of the lads who play aggressively (which is fine) can be negligent with their sticks. The same fella who slashed me across the achilles tendon a couple weeks ago was responsible for the injury tonight. We had words and he had the gall to accuse me of being aggressive. Pot meet kettle. The difference is I play hard but control my stick and know when to push and when to back off.

 I may also reconsider playing next season other than being the spare goalie.....just not sure if the potential for injury is worth the effort. I will reevaluate come September.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2009 Halifax Criterium - Race Update

Celesta - The Archer's Helmet

Scythian Bow - Flagella Dei