Tuesday, October 27, 2015

"Pop" Goes The Hamstring

Having started my usual winter of ball hockey I was anticipating the return to the game I love (and have played) forever.




Having some lower back issues back in the early 2000`s I had switched to playing goal as the stop/starting running on a hard gym floor was wreaking havoc on my body. Once I began attending a chiropractor and lost weight (mostly attributed to becoming a competitive road cyclist) I was able to begin playing out as a runner again. I had become a versatile player...as both a runner and goaltender.


Last year I rarely had the opportunity to play out as I left the ECBHL after several seasons and found myself busy in nets for Sunday, Monday and Thursday pickup hockey. I enjoy nets but was missing the chance to get out and compete on the floor.




It was with that frame of mind I was jacked for the start of the 2015/2016 seasons. I signed on to be a full time goalie on Thursday, would tandem nets on Sunday(week in/week out) and play as a goalie/runner spare on Mondays.


Unfortunately it has not been a great start to the season. In my second game as a runner I took a slap shot off my upper hip which has left a very painful and deep hematoma, no doubt complicated by my low platelets. I also experienced some resulting issues with my usual neck/ shoulder and back the day after pounding around on the hard floor.


In my third start last evening as a runner I anticipated a cross floor pass from the opposing defenseman and intercepted the ball. Having chipped it pass the second defenseman I stretched to regain the ball for a breakaway on the net.


POP!


I immediately stumbled upon the first twinge of pain and, upon standing, knew it was not a good result. I tried to stretch it out and continued to play for a few more shifts but lacked any jump and was unable to push off with my left leg.







Hamstrung!


Home to an ice pack and the RICE protocol. All the symptoms of a level two hamstring pull; deep pain just under the glute radiating down to the knee. Stiffness and a lack of mobility.....putting on socks and/or shoes near impossible. I am able to walk but with a shuffle.




I`m now on the IR. Not sure how long it will take to recover but my concern going forward is how well it heals. Hamstrings are notorious for recurring pulls - especially if you return to activity too soon. Not only does it impact my ball hockey but also my gym time and spinning as I have recently rejoined a gym to improve my overall fitness. Damn!


Going Forward?


http://physioworks.com.au/injuries-conditions-1/hamstring-strains-amp-injuries




At 52 I think it is time to accept the reality of my "issues" and retire from playing out as a runner in ball hockey. It simply is just too hard on my body factoring in my platelet problem and skeletal/structural  concerns. I just hope I will be able to continue to play in goal without further hamstring problems...I`m no longer 20 something regardless of what the brain may think.

No comments: