Hibiscus Tea

Fall is upon us and Winter soon to follow so I have begun to crave teas. I have no idea why I have a predominately seasonal taste for teas?


I have been aware that my blood pressure of late has increased somewhat, probably a result of a rather inactive summer and increased weight gain and the onset of aging. As noted in this blog I am in the process of addressing my current state of wellness. How does this tie in with hibiscus tea you ask?


Good question. I was researching various teas to indulge my cravings while offering me some different brew options and read that hibiscus can help reduce blood pressure, specifically the top systolic number and was effective for adults with pre or mild hypertension. My interest peaked I dug further into hibiscus teas and discovered it is a traditional healing teas that offers other benefits. Probably tastes terrible as most healing tinctures or teas usually do right? Only one way to find out so I found myself heading to the Bulk Barn - a local retail outlet that has a decent variety of bulk loose leaf teas.


They had two varieties in stock; a Hibiscus Rose Hip and a Hibiscus Cranberry. I purchased a small bag of both for sampling and headed home for a brew-up.


Both teas are vibrant red in color and the flavor reminds me of fresh berries with a tart pleasing flavor....very nice. Both rose hip and cranberry compliments hibiscus and adds some additional vitamin C and other antioxidants.



"Hibiscus tea is ruby red in color and has a sour taste. Therefore, it is also known as sour tea and has a flavor similar to cranberry. It is widely available on the market throughout the tea-drinking world, and can be consumed hot or cold depending on your preference. This tea is low in calories and caffeine-free. "


This stuff is good! Score.


Dead easy to prepare. Loose tea in a tea ball/filter and let steep for 5 minutes. The longer you leave it the more brilliant it becomes and increases in flavor.




Bonus! Makes a great cold sports drink which definitely appeals to me now that I am getting back into winter spinning, the gym and ball hockey. I refuse to use the "ades" as the commercial sports drinks on the market are nothing more than chemicals and sugar. Gross!


In addition to lowering blood pressure hibiscus tea also offers the following benefits.....


"The health benefits of hibiscus tea include relief from high blood pressure and high cholesterol, as well as digestive, immune system, and inflammatory problems. It helps to cure liver disease and reduces the risk of cancer. It can also speed up the metabolism and help in healthy, gradual weight loss. Hibiscus tea is rich in vitamin C, minerals and various antioxidants, while also helping in the treatment of hypertension and anxiety."




Did I say this tea is good? It will definitely become part of my tea regimen, and knowing it makes a great sports drink, part of my fitness plan.


Sidebar - there are some concerns with hibiscus for those with low blood pressure, pregnant and could possibly cause an allergic reaction to some.







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2009 Halifax Criterium - Race Update

Celesta - The Archer's Helmet

Scythian Bow - Flagella Dei