Monday, October 03, 2016

Ball Hockey

It's that time of year with the start of the 2016/2017 ball hockey season. Changes in this season's schedule include switching goaltending duties to Sunday night from Thursday. Having the goalie pendulum swing to a glut of net minders available for Thursday it only made sense to commit to a regular 7-9pm Sunday full time spot.



As a result I have also flipped my Thursday night status to that of spare, either as goalie or as a runner. As much as my aging body rallied late last season playing as a runner I am under no illusions that my back, shoulder and neck issues won't remain a constant impediment. Despite successfully rehabbing a periformis injury last Fall I acknowledge the demands of stop/start high intensity running on a hard surface and its negative effects over the long term. I still like to play out but I'm not confident how well the body will hold up. Subbing occasionally should satiate the desire to play out without a commitment of time, potential injury and money.


I've also ceased my participation on Monday nights. Playing in Tantallon in a 8-10pm time slot was inconvenient in terms of distance and in terms of recovery (from Sunday night's effort).

What I lose this season in a decrease in ball hockey play will be countered with a schedule of strength training and RPM spin classes at Goodlife. Not only will more variety better serve my overall conditioning, weight management and strength training but hopefully will help prevent/avoid ball hockey related repetitive strain injury.

The joys of being an aging athlete. The mind is willing but the body less agreeable.

For the love of the game.

 

No comments: