Friday, April 20, 2018

Rum - Plantation Pineapple Rum

Let me preface my review by acknowledging I like Plantation branded rums. The Original Dark and 5 year aged rums are two of my top  five favorites.



That said how can I translate to words my joy when I found the Plantation pineapple infused rum at the NSLC. Awhile back I was told to always do a walk past of the "top shelf" aisle as often specialty products would be located there, including various rums. As I strolled past heading towards the rum section I immediately
recognized the unique labeling and bottle shape of Plantation's Original Dark.

Brand awareness is a wonderful thing. Intrigued I first checked the price point to see if it is within my middle class budget. Listing at $40 CDN it was near my limit but I was sold by the label.....

"We  infuse the ripe pineapples in Plantation Original Dark for three months. Meanwhile we macerate the rinds and distill it to produce a bright pineapple essence. We blend both the essence and infusion together to create the final product"



Speaking of labels. Plantation leads the industry with excellent labeling. Done in a parchment style they include a cornucopia of information -  in hand short stories that chronicles the history of the art and craft that is rum.



Packaged in a classic saloon style bottle with cork stopper the rum presents a handsome package that attracts your gaze and primes your palate. Uncorked the nose is that of fresh cut pineapple not some artificial flavoring. In the shot glass it shows copper, a moderate burn with a pleasant, but not a particularly silky, mouth feel.



In the glass upon ice....which is my preference...this rum glows like liquid sunshine. The slow ice melt of the cubes temper the pineapple essence yet smooths out the mouth feel. The finishing burn becomes a deliciously lingering warmth that reminds one of the beauty of the tropics.

I imagine this would make incredible boat drinks but it almost seems a travesty to mask this rum with additional flavors. Makes a lovely sipper....as does all the Plantations. I'm not a real fan of spiced or flavored rums preferring the basic caramels, buttery toffees and baking spices but this is very nice in a dessert kind of way.


No comments: