Saturday, October 13, 2018

Rum - 5 Fathom

Had my eye on this locally produced black rum for awhile and made the buy this afternoon when I noticed only a single bottle left on the NSLC specialty table. Produced by Barrelling Tide distillery out of Port Williams Nova Scotia the rum presents well in a corked tall clear bottle with an attractive parchment like label.



The rum possesses a nose of molasses and in natural light shows amber in the glass or bottle despite the coal black facade presented on the shelf. Neat in the glass it is delicious in a dessert kind of way with a pleasant mouth feel, subtle burn and easy finish. It is sweet but in a dangerous way that encourages more with no need of ice nor mix.



Over ice the flavor of the rum changes from pleasant molasses to more of a hard candy impression. I like my rums over ice but in the case of 5 Fathom I think I prefer it neat. Subsequently I am not sure one would want to mix anything with the rum, especially anything overtly sweet as the rum provides enough on it's own. My feeling is the rum would get lost in cola due to the mild finish. That said I mixed with some pineapple juice and have to admit it was quite delicious in a boat drink kind of way.

It's a sweet dark rum as expected from molasses based spirits so no surprise. If you like oaky, smokey rums with hints of tobacco this probably will not be your thing. If you like rum cocktails and sweeter rums without a strong burn then this is a winner.

No comments: