Ball Hockey Update - Season's End

With May coming to an end and summer around the corner the 2023/2024 ball hockey season has finished. It was a shortened transient season of play due to continued renovations of our venue. Fortunately we were able to source a replacement recreation centre to salvage a few months of play.

Between my continued recovery from my 2021 accident and an extended layoff due to venue renovations I really struggled physically during and after our games. That led to self doubt about my ability to effectively play goal at a level I expected of myself. I was ready to retire.

I possess a love for the game and having ceased cycling upon advice of my neurosurgeon I decided to explore options that might mitigate the physical demands of goaltending and extend my involvement in my remaining sporting passion.

Compression socks definitely helped my sixty one year old calves and Achilles tendons. A refocus of my strength training regimen to include frequent "leg days" strengthening my lower body; calves, hips, glutes, hamstrings and quads led to improvements in mobility, conditioning and flexibility. 

It was the use of inexpensive volleyball knee pads under my hockey pads that really made the difference. Not only did they secure my pads from unwanted movement when moving side to side in the crease but the extra padding further cushioned my knees from impact when contacting the floor during play.

As a result my game improved almost immediately. I was no longer focusing on my discomfort and fatigue during play but on the actual game. In-game stiffness was lessened in my legs, lower back and shoulders. My confidence followed suite and I began to enjoy the game again. Retirement is now off the table and I am looking forward to Fall and the start of the next season of ball hockey.

For the love of the game.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chi, Ionized Water, Good Health and Q-Ray

WMD-C38 Bicycle Wheel Review

Scythian Bow - Flagella Dei