Monday, March 24, 2008

Easter Monday - First ride of 2008



The cycling gods smiled upon me and the day turned out to be lovely. Blue skies, sunshine and chilly but not cold. Barely any wind to speak of made for a decent March cycling evening.

Felt good to be back on a real bike as opposed to a stationary spin bike at the gym. I headed out Dunbrack and discovered an ideal training route. On the top of Main avenue a new subdivision is being built and is home to brand new pavement, little traffic after the construction crews go home and some serious climbing.

I ended up doing a loop where I climb towards the telecommunications tower then recover on a scorching downhill complete with a couple fast corners.I was there for an hour and had three vehicles past me. Nice! This is an ideal location to train for the AMP race scheduled in May as it simulates the race course quite well.

Legs felt good after I got through the first couple loops but I definitely have some work to do despite a winter of gym work. Nothing is better training for the bike than on the bike training. The fitness was good and I maintained a(good for me)tempo and form on the climbs but sorely lacked that extra jump for acelerations.That will be a challenge early in the 2008 season best remedied by just getting my arse kicked riding with the fast boys.The look on my face sums it up well...the time for suffering is at hand.

No comments: