Aoneky Archery Backstop Netting

 Having purchased an actual straw archery target to replace my worn out DIY target bags I decided to take the plunge and acquire an archery specific backstop netting.

Made from a tightly knitted synthetic fabric it was marketed as a netting to stop field point arrows. Currently I was using some kind of felted material as part of a permanent backstop which was showing its age after many years exposed to the elements.

I liked the idea of a portable netting that could be carried to a location and set up between two trees or poles. It could add some diversity to my shooting and roving of the woods. A extra large beach bag would complete the ensemble of netting and target and let me discreetly transport both to a shooting location.


The question was whether it would perform as advertised so off to the woods I went to do a product review. Using some paracord and the preholed grommets it was simple to hang the tarp as instructed with the bottom unsecured so it could billow and absorb the impact of the arrows.

I was using my Alibow short Turkish bow for the testing coming in at 45#@28 from a distance of 15 yards. I was using four different arrows; two bamboo and two pine with similar but slightly different field points. 



Success! The netting did indeed stop the arrows with a resounding thunk. An inspection afterwards showed no punctures of the material just some discoloration on the front and some minor dimpling upon the back. In retrospect I will probably (slightly) file my field point tips as they do possess a sharp point. Minor rounding off of the tips should help preserve the netting but not affect the impact on my straw target.

Purchased on Amazon. A good buy. It will take my archery to the next level knowing a miss will not result in a lost arrow.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2009 Halifax Criterium - Race Update

Celesta - The Archer's Helmet

Scythian Bow - Flagella Dei