"Going Under" - Irons in the Fire. It`s Friday Night!














"I`ve got to breathe - I can`t keep going under..."
Evanescence


About six months ago, disappointed by the cycling season, I decided it was time to re-evaluate my priorities. Simple fact of the matter was I had too many irons in the fire. I was dealing with the demands of my job,demands of my family and unrealistic athletic expectations while trying to squeeze every little minute out of every little day.

I reached that point where I knew it was unsustainable so I decided it was time to identify the important things and focus on them. In terms of cycling(racing)I realized it was not possible to train and compete for all events. So I decided to be selective and choose those events that suited my training opportunities and skills.(See Time Trial post)

In terms of work I also realized the company will not crumble if I take a day off rather than lose POD days(use them or lose them)because of some over zealous work ethic. Heading into 2008 I will take advantage of those days....I promise.

In terms of family I realize having a spouse working nights and weekends while I work weekdays means it will impact my training. I will need to be selective in my athletic endeavors to accomodate my children. Being a father trumps being an athlete.

That said I also decided to pull Joshua from karate. The last year he just didn`t put in the effort and it was obvious he was just going through the motions. It was frustrating for me and the Sensei. Upon consultaion I guess this is not uncommon for adolescent males. I hope he will return to the discipline and will encourage him to do so if it is something he wants to pursue at a later date. Earlier in the Fall I also didn`t renew his bass guitar lessons for the same reasons. As much as I want him to participate he needs to show a commitment. The end result is three weeknights not being pressured to make classes or lessons.

Unfortunately I also decided that I would not pursue any further postings on the bike club executive. The last two years I served as VP and the natural progession was to assume the presidency for another two year term. I hope I didn`t disappoint the membership but I declined the nomination at last night`s AGM. If I`m gonna perform that function I need to give 100% and my domestic situation does not allow that level of commitment. Being a father trumps being a sporting club`s president.

So what is the end result of my decisions? I am OK.....it`s Friday night and I have a nice Jost 2004 Marechal Foch in my glass. A gold medal winnner at the 2006 Tasters Guild competition it is a.... "dry, well balanced wine....with good length." Nova Scotia makes some surprisingly good wines....I think within a decade we will gain the recognition long deserved. I am listening to my new Evanescence CD, enjoying the wine and just chilling out.Nice!

Spin class in the morning and ball hockey Sunday. Rest of the weekend spent with the kids just hanging out. As my motto states.....an athlete balancing work, family and sports. It is a question of balance and I think I have regained that perspective.

Geo

Comments

Murray Yazer said…
Hey George,

Great post, you've summarized my life too... the conflict between school, wife, kids, and cycling. I haven't even touched my bike since August!!

It was really great having you on the club executive and it made my job as President easier. Now there's a new crew and the club will go on. I think you've made some good choices.

Murray
George said…
Dude! I can`t even comprehend how you are coping. Talk about too many irons in the fire. At first opportunity Julie and you deserve a nice vacation.(wink)

Hang in there!

Geo

Popular posts from this blog

2009 Halifax Criterium - Race Update

Celesta - The Archer's Helmet

Scythian Bow - Flagella Dei