Monday, February 11, 2008

Devinci Loses His Wings.........


....albeit temporarily. Finally got in to see my sport chiropractor about the stiffness and pain in my neck, shoulder and upper back. Rotator/shoulder socket are good.Neck is OK. In layman`s terms it seems a couple upper ribs are the problem, specifically where they join the spinal column. The result is stiffness/pain that radiates upwards along my spine into my neck and across my inner shoulder.

It could be caused by several reasons including goaltending and strength training regimens but has been a long standing problem. Usually I just work through the discomfort(therein lies the problem)but trying to break up ice with a shovel on the driveway at Christmas might have been the straw that broke the camel`s(Devinci`s)back.

The good news is that I do have "good back musculature" that has prevented the symptoms getting any worse so now it`s a case of treating the congested "knot" Had my first treatment today and I am scheduled back on Thursday for round two. I felt better afterwards so,hopefully,the next session will sort out the problem.

Doctor`s advice.......avoid strenuous activity and ice the problem 3 times daily. Seems the whole area between spine and shoulder girdle was very tense and will need time to decompress.

Rats! Guess my gym wings have been grounded for the next week(or so)anyway. Yikes...the body may heal but I`ll lose my mind in the process. Better warn the kids to tread softly....(wink).

Geo

1 comment:

Cari said...

you should try yoga in the meantime...good for streching your back and good for clearing your mind. hope you feel better soon!