A Matter Of Fate!


Having sold my old Schwinn mtb to a lady heading to Cuba with the intent of leaving it there for her Cuban friend I was in a situation where I wanted(needed)to purchase another newer MTB. I was looking for something that was capable of more advanced trails but could also double as a commuter and,perhaps,to dabble in cyclocross next season.

It just so happens(fated?)I bagged first place in the football pool at work this month and with the money from the Schwinn sale I had about $500 in the war chest.I have been checking Kijiji and also spec`ed out some new bikes at the shop. I really liked the Giant XTC line but with the 2010 XTC 2 listed around $900(plus tax) I had quite some way to go before I could justify the purchase. Especially considering I just bought a new road bike six months ago.

Turns out I was eyeing a bike on Kijiji that was my size, had a nice component mix and seemed to be in great shape. Listed at $700 it was a little more than I wanted to spend for a used bike. Turns out the posting was updated today and the seller had dropped the asking price by $100. Sweet! It was now in my ballpark.

Having arranged a meeting I promptly purchased the bike after doing some research on the net of the component/fork and brake reviews. Overall it was a good package and all I need to get back to the "dirt".

I am now the owner of a 2005 Norco Charger hardtail frame equipped with a Rockshox Recon 351 fork, Avid BB7 160 mm mechanical disc brakes,Shimano Deore LX drivetrain and shifters,FSA crankset,bar and seatpost. Race face Deus stem.Mavic F219 front wheel,Mavic 717 rear wheel.

A little dusty from being in a basement for two years I may need to tune it up somewhat but the spin around the neighborhood felt fine.Shifting seemed crisp, fork was good(comes with a lockout feature)and the mechanical brakes seemed powerful. A longer ride will certainly give me a better idea of whatever adjustments need to be made.

I still got my eye on the Giant XTC 0(sweet bike) but this fills the gap nicely and gives me some time to decide if a new MTB purchase is warranted in 2010/2011.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2009 Halifax Criterium - Race Update

Celesta - The Archer's Helmet

Scythian Bow - Flagella Dei