Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Paleo Staples - Lamb's Liver

 One has to love those foraging days when you stumble upon something unexpected at the market. Today I sourced some fresh(local) Nova Scotian lamb's liver at Sobey's. Score! The best part is the price - they are practically giving it away - .275kg for $1.92(CDN).

 Home to prepare my feast. I know......most paleo/primal advocates have difficulties with organ meats including liver. I like it but I am fussy. I prefer it sliced thin and usually like to dice(cube) it before eating.


Here is my recipe. I fry six slices of bacon and dice them up before they get crispy. I then add diced onion and fresh mushrooms to the bacon and bacon fat then lay in the liver strips. When the liver is near cooked I cube it then stirfry the mixture together with a little Lea&Perrins worcestershire sauce and a dash of soy sauce. Serve over a bed of greens.

Delicious!Oddly enough I find it milder than (grass fed) beef''s liver when cooked but stronger in flavor when eaten raw? Wait - before you turn away in disgust. I do not make a habit out of eating raw liver but will sample a sliver to gauge the flavor.

No comments: