Learning The Flourish

Having decided to create a walking stick for hiking through the woods I soon found myself creating a traditional quarterstaff. That led me into doing some research into the traditional English quarterstaff martial arts so familiar to most from the Little John character from the Robin Hood legends.



It did not take long to find videos on You Tube including this one by the BQA on the Flourish....


Now that is cool. Definitely needed to teach myself the proper "animal" stances and the techniques involved in flourishing. It took practice to become comfortable with the under arm grasp but once you "got it" it became second nature. Adding in the footwork and weight shifts are somewhat problematic and remains a work in progress. Dude is right - you cannot over think the process. Just go with the flow.

Here is my flourish......


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2009 Halifax Criterium - Race Update

Celesta - The Archer's Helmet

Scythian Bow - Flagella Dei