Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Warm Lemon Water, Intermittent Fasting and Wellness

 I have always been an advocate for lemon(and/or lime) water as part of a hydration regimen but recently decided to start a early morning routine using warm lemon/lime water in lieu of coffee first thing upon waking.



The benefits of consuming warm lemon/lime water first thing in the morning.....


http://rootandsprouts.com/benefits-of-lemon-water-according-to-science/


There are several health benefit claims but for me its all about hydration. Most of my activities occur in the evenings and I suspect I probably go to bed in a dehydrated state, made worse by the normal dehydration that occurs during sleep. A large warm glass of lemon water first thing in the AM provides an easily absorbed shot of water to help rehydrate, detoxify(cleanse) and kick start the metabolism.


"The juice you produce when you mix lemons with hot water becomes a natural medicine....this solution is able to combat multiple health issues including digestive issues, nausea, heartburn and constipation. The lemon juice also helps your liver to flush out toxins, which would otherwise be absorbed into your body."

As an intermittent faster lemon water in the morning, in addition to hydration, provides some natural flavor that will not "break" the fast yet is enjoyable to consume.


"Fasting by definition means nothing other than water. You will not generate an insulin or amino acid response from this. Want to add some flavor? Then try adding in some lemon juice or even a tablespoon of Apple Cider Vinegar. You may even get some additional internal health “cleansing” benefits from it as well..."


Usually after an hour or so I will then have a cup of black coffee once I get to work. Later in the day I will often have cold lemon water after I break my fast...for no other reason than it is refreshing and delicious.



Tips - I like the idea of zesting organic lemon peels and keeping a container in the freezer. I am also a fan of raw ginger and adding some slices to lemon water sounds like another great idea. I will incorporate both into my morning routine.


Note - swishing your teeth with plain water may be advisable depending on how strong and often you drink lemon water.....especially if you already have dental issues regarding enamel.

 

No comments: