Tick Off!

 It is that time of year here in the Northeast....tick season! Ticks suck both literally and figuratively.







Certain areas of the province have both the notorious deer tick and the common wood or dog tick. Working down in Queen`s county I could be exposed to both so I make my own DIY tick repellent using essential oils, vodka/witch hazel and distilled water. Truth be told I use this recipe I found online at Primally Inspired. Thanks for sharing! Neat blog - check it out.


http://www.primallyinspired.com/easy-natural-tick-repellent-that-really-works-essential-oils/






I`ve used a variation of this recipe last season with pretty good success, blending a multi purpose tick, black fly and mosquito spray. This season I think I will create a separate tick formula as the prime essential oil is Rose Geranium. Fairly expensive I`d rather conserve the use of the spray for my lower legs and feet as ticks attach to hosts usually from high grasses and low lying shrubs. I will then create a separate spray for flies and mosquitos using a blend of citronella, peppermint, lemongrass and lavender.


FYI - make sure your purchase the Pelargonium Capitatum X Radens species of rose geranium as it has the best track record for tick repellent ability. I use the Eden Garden variety and purchase via Amazon.ca.




Comments

Unknown said…
We made, more or less, the same concoction as you and have been using it for about 2 months now with great results.

Popular posts from this blog

2009 Halifax Criterium - Race Update

Celesta - The Archer's Helmet

Scythian Bow - Flagella Dei