Wednesday, October 25, 2017

Tight Hip Flexors-Weak Glutes Part Two - Hockey Goaltending

Having determined that I suffered shortened hip flexors and weak glutes I began a new regimen at the gym to address the issue. Not only was it focused upon lengthening/stretching the hip flexors but also included exercises to activate the glutes, restore lower body balance and improve my overall leg and core strength.


http://rolfdevinci.blogspot.ca/2017/08/tight-hip-flexors-weak-glutes-who-knew.html


To recap the issue is this.....


"Prolonged sitting and activities like jogging and cycling can lead to tight hip flexors and muscle imbalances (weak glutes?) which contribute to low back pain. Tight hip flexors create an anterior pull on the pelvis known as an anterior pelvic tilt. This alters posture and also inhibits, or turns off, the opposing muscle group, the gluteus maximus, leading to muscle imbalances...."


Cooper Institute   







Two months into my new approach I have realized excellent results. Not only have I noticed a substantial change in my torso in terms of weight management but I have made strength gains across the board. My lower body and abdominals have never been stronger, there is a definite diminishing of leg and back stiffness and I have become a more powerful cyclist - at least in regards to RPM spinning.  With  my ball hockey season beginning at the end of September I was curious how it would translate into my goaltending?


The difference was definitely apparent from the outset once I started playing goal. Leg strength was improved, flexibility was very good and post to post mobility/range was surprisingly easy this early into the season. Needless to say it got me thinking about my technique and how I could improve my goaltending skills. I have always been a traditional stand up goalie because I was physically unable to perform the butterfly movement. I did not have the flexibility nor the strength to perform the movement without discomfort.


Sidebar - this can translate to ball hockey especially if you are playing on a slippery surface other than concrete or pavement. Since I play predominately on gym surfaces (tile or wood) I cover my sneakers with socks. It mimics an ice surface exceptionally well and enables explosive kick outs and lateral movements. It also allows for an easier dropping to one`s knees when performing a butterfly.


"In hockey "butterfly style" is a technique of goaltending distinguished by the goaltender guarding the lower part of the net by dropping to the knees to block attempts to score. The butterfly style derives its name from the resemblance of the spread goal pads and hands to a butterfly's wings..."





Subsequent research into developing the butterfly style of goaltending brought me full circle. Hockey goalies also suffer from tight hip flexors and glute issues....


"...a goalie constantly in a set position (hips flexed ready to move in any direction with either short choppy movements or a long explosive movement often follow by another unpredicted rotation, flexion, and extension) you must generate power from your hips to perform in all aspects of the game. Goalies stand in a crouched, bent over position (hip flexed). The reality is you are more often in a hips flexed position and therefore you shorten your hip flexors..."


https://hdtstrength.wordpress.com/2016/11/30/attn-hockey-players-and-goalies-tight-hip-flexor-relief-glute-activation/


Essentially the exercises I incorporated into my gym regimen in August to address hip flexor/glute issues has also benefited my goal tending ability.


Sidebar - I have yet to have an opportunity to play out of nets so far this season. I am curious to see how my changes will effect my ability to perform the stop/start/change of direction/ sharp movements required to play out as a runner. Stay tuned.....










                                      

No comments: