Thursday, July 23, 2020

Rum - Plantation Xaymaca Special Dry

Quite by surprise during a hot summer bike commute home I discovered the NSLC had added a new Plantation rum selection to the shelves. Stopped enroute planning on picking up a couple cold beers but instead placed a bottle of the Xaymaca rum in the backpack instead.


Marketed as a traditional 100% Jamaican pot still rum exhibiting the classic "funk" of the island with the associated Hogo flavors of banana and burnt pineapple I was looking forward to getting home and sampling the rum. I am a big fan of the Plantation rums and, after having a few glasses of the Xaymaca special dry, can say this did not disappoint despite the flavor profile not quite being in my ball park.



Packaged in the familiar Plantation 5 year rum style of bottle the Xaymaca looks very familiar to it's cousin with the exception of some green highlights upon the label - no doubt paying homage to Jamaica's lush environment. The nose is intriguing with memories of the Original Dark or Bumbo but does let you know this is slightly over proof at 43%APV. As a result mouth feel is not silky smooth but is not overly harsh either. You do get tingling alcohol right away but with a little patience the flavors do emerge. The finish is ok but maybe a touch hot and lacking. I personally prefer my rum on ice so the finish definitely mellows with some ice cube melt.


I'm a caramel, butterscotch and baking spice fan so the taste profile of the Xaymaca is not quite to my personal tastes. You definitely get a complexity with some oak, a smattering of smoke, banana and other layers of flavor that go beyond my plebian ability to ascertain. This rum is definitely not of a sweeter variety. It's not objectional by any means and in a glass over ice I can still quite enjoy it.



As a mixer this selection is excellent in a classic rum and cola. The sweetness of the soda is offset by the dry oaky wood of the rum to create a delicious cocktail. I generally make a "grog" when I feel the need to mix to avoid the excess sugars in soda; rum and water with a splash of cola over ice for just a hint of sweetness. A twist of lime if I have any available.



Overall it is a decent rum both as a sipper or mixer especially at the retail price point of $34.99 CDN. A nice affordable addition to the bar cart to add some variety of choice.

No comments: