Return To Goal

 Today wrapped up the first half of my ball hockey season as I will miss the final Sunday because I am working a rum tasting on December18th.

I am quite happy how the first half of the season played out considering I was away from the game for almost a year recovering from my accident and surgery. I will admit I feared my participation may cease due to my injuries and age but my paramedical providers got me back close to my pre accident condition. There were some dark days early in my recovery but my physiotherapist, chiropractor and masseuse told me to be patient and that soft tissue damage sometimes took time to improve.

I had fears that my right ankle/calf and knees would be problematic when dealing with the up and downs and side to sides of playing goal. I was concerned my damaged glutes would hamper my endurance and conditioning to play for an extended period of time. I was worried my right wrist and shoulder would become cranky as that is my blocker/stick hand.


To address those fears I did become an active participant in my recovery and once allowed to resume gym work I focused upon strengthening my glutes, core and lower body. Worked on improving my right hand grip and shoulder strength and flexibility. Focused upon more compound exercises to build overall strength while incorporating kettlebells and medicine ball routines along with traditional weight training techniques. All while minding my concussed brain and how it was coping with my increasing activity and intensity. Started slow using lower weight with incremental increases as I got stronger. Increased stretching and, later in my recovery, the use of foam rolling to improve recovery, break up fascia and manage the omnipresent body stiffness.Rolling definitely helps both prior to exercise and afterwards.



I also am changing the way I am playing goal. Prior to my accident I used a drop and block style of goaltending with a modified butterfly approach.Use my size to take away the bottom of the net. I had the lower body flexibility to accomplish that style of play. I do not possess that degree of flexibility any longer so I am learning a traditional stand up method of goaltending. Limiting the up and downs during a game not only puts less strain upon my lower body but improves endurance and decreases the chance of re-injury. It also keeps my head elevated and decreases the chances of taking an hip, knee or stick impact from a runner involved in the play beside the net or near the crease. The less impact to the noggin the better, even something that may seem insignificant.


It's all a work in progress but I'm happy with my return to play thus far. Looking forward to improved conditioning and getting stronger in the New Year.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2009 Halifax Criterium - Race Update

Celesta - The Archer's Helmet

Scythian Bow - Flagella Dei