Sanctuary - The Gym

 Prior to my accident I remained an active senior. I often quipped that my body was old but my brain was still 20 something. I still cycled most days, albeit solo as I eventually ceased club riding after my accident in 2011, even commuting to work during the winter on appropriate weather permitting days. I attended the gym several days a week to strength train, practiced traditional archery and continued to play ball hockey primarily as a goalie but occasionally as a runner.


That changed after being struck by a vehicle in 2021 and my subsequent neurosurgery to repair a chronic subdural hematoma. Released from the hospital in early January 2022 I was sidelined until my reassessment in late March. Those three months were the hardest, dealing with fear and anxiety about my condition, financials, recovery and finding myself in a sedentary situation where walking for a little was my only exercise. Coping with my physical limitations and cognitive issues the result of two brain injuries within two months meant I was in a dark place.

Upon reassessment in late March I was able to drive again which offered additional freedom of movement and was allowed to return to the gym, albeit with limitations. Start slow, focus on light cardio, low weight with higher reps all while being mindful of how my body and head felt during and after exercise. Frequent feedback to my physiotherapist and the acceptance of advice about my progress in regards to my recovery.

But I was back! Back in an environment that offered me comfort. The gym became my sanctuary from that dark sedentary place. I was able to move my body surrounded by likeminded people who motivated me to start the journey back to fitness just by their presence. Just being in that gym environment became my social outlet, my participation in a mutual sport that was sorely lacking. I missed the freedom of the bike and the comradery of ball hockey but at least I was back at the gym and I embraced it wholeheartedly. I was tentative and anxious and a little self conscious but happy to return. The newly opened Fit4less was in my neighborhood and a short walk or drive from home. It had a varied clientele so the intimidation factor was not an issue. It was convenient and it was non - judgmental. It was sanctuary.

Ten months later and it is still my happy place. I am currently working a Monday - Friday part time job that starts in the early afternoon so every morning I have time to start my day at the gym. Being routine driven this works for me on many levels. Not only have I regained much of my pre accident strength but I am losing weight gained over the last year while adding muscle. I am feeling better as my recovery continues. My wellness remains a work in progress and the gym is a valuable tool in my rehabilitation. To quote Bruce Springsteen I often feel "halfway to heaven but just a mile out of hell". There are still things I cannot, or will not, do at the gym. Anything that puts my head below my heart in a decline position I am not comfortable doing. I am starting to do some HIIT via a spin bike but remain cognizant of my biofeedback. Pushing the envelope but not spending too much time in the red zone. I discovered the benefits of foam rolling and it has definitely helped with my post exercise recovery and continuing stiffness. Stiffness of my lower extremities, specifically my legs, buttocks and lower back remains and flares up after sitting for an extended period or if I am unable to do a workout for two consecutive days. Rolling really does help so I try and do it daily.

My blood pressure has improved now that I can become active again. Combined with a sedentary recovery, weight gain and post accident stresses my mild hypertension became worse over the last year. It came to a head during my functional capability exam in August when I barely made Lifemark's safety protocol for continuing with the physical examination. My occupational therapist was concerned and recommended I address my elevated numbers. In August I was consistently reading a systolic number in the 150+ range with a diastolic number in the high 80`s or low 90`s. I bought a home blood pressure testing kit, improved my diet and began limiting my alcohol consumption along with a renewed focus at the gym. By the end of the year my systolic numbers had dropped to a range of high 120`s/low 130`s and diastolic numbers ranging from the 70`s to low 80`s. In truth my hypertension was a blessing in the sense it gave me the impetus to change all my lifestyle factors which is now benefiting my overall wellness and fitness.

I am now in a better head space. I am now starting to feel whole again. I am now starting to feel strong.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2009 Halifax Criterium - Race Update

Celesta - The Archer's Helmet

Scythian Bow - Flagella Dei