Mitsoh Dried Bison & Pemmican

 Having stumbled upon Mitsoh while online I was intrigued by the products of this indigenous company based in the Wabasca Bigstone Cree nation in Alberta Canada. For years I have been consuming a more traditional diet trying to limit the negative impact of the standard American diet; high processed foods loaded with sugars, preservatives, chemicals and often defunct of healthy fats and nutrients.

Since the 1970's we have been misled about dietary nutrition but improved nutritional science is now refuting that bad advice. My takeaway after years of dietary self experimentation was the realization that a standardized cookie cutter approach to diet is suspect and that individuals need to determine what foods work well for them, what foods are neutral and what foods do harm. I discovered that low carb/ high(er) protein diets are optimal for me in combination with an avoidance of sugars, seed oils, nightshade vegetables all while limiting grains, fruits and dairy consumption. 

As a result I seek out appropriate foodstuffs to add variety to my diet. Whereas commercial jerky is widely available the additives and preservatives often dissuade me from purchasing so discovering Mitsoh traditional dried meat and pemmican was a bonus. As a 60+ male I am always looking for quick and convenient protein sources. It is important for males to maintain muscle mass as we age so strength training and sufficient protein consumption is key to health. Along with a mug of organic bone broth and marine collagen from Organika I usually break my fast with some dried bison and a strip of pemmican after each morning's workout. It is surprisingly satisfying and filling with the broth, dry meat and pemmican complimentary to each other. Together it averages around 25-30 grams of quality protein and tastes far better than chalky protein powders.

The challenge is not eating it all within a few days. It is a premium product so I need to be disciplined with my portion size. Crafting dry meat and pemmican the traditional artisanal way is a job intensive, time consuming process that increases the cost of the product. Money well spent for a quality product. Mitsoh does offer bulk packaging and free shipping over $100 CDN. Shelf life is not an issue (obviously) but trust me when I say it's so good you will have no problem with expiry date spoilage. Freezing both is also a long term storage option. The dried meat is cut thin and hard yet flavorful and softens quickly in the mouth. The pemmican is chewy and comes in a variety of berry flavors. Both are delicious.

Nice to support homegrown Canadian companies in both Mitsoh and Organika. Here in Eastern Canada Mitsoh products are only available online but in Western Canada they are available in select retail outlets and online.

Fantastic products and now staples in my nutritional toolbox.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2009 Halifax Criterium - Race Update

Celesta - The Archer's Helmet

Scythian Bow - Flagella Dei